Sunday, September 18, 2011

Final Season of ENTOURAGE Thoughts...





Originally I began writing what I thought would be a lot more in depth of an entry. Then I stopped and deleted it. Because the truth is I won't analyze this show as a film student so much as me. This show was awesome. Before I saw it, the words I heard about it were "amazing". I didn't think so about the first season (though it was good) but I loved the second season. I loved the show for years, It was fun and addicting following these group of guys.

For a while I had stopped watching (not because it wasn't entertaining. It's just life...) I heard about the final season and heard lots of thoughts. Many felt that since the guys on the show settled down that was the end of it. Not having seen the season (post season 5) yet I jumped the gun and agreed because the show began as a group of guys following a movie star. The group would party, go through money, have adventures, and always have each others backs. But as the show continued, starting with E, we watched as these guys grew into their own. They slowly stopped relying on Vince (not 100% of course, but enough to be their own men). They got into relationships that lasted more than one episode. Honestly, I was looking forward to the final season.

Then came Season 7, or what I like to call 'The Charlie Sheen' season. While the story lines grabbed my attention, the show became darker. It lost its humor, witty writing, and characters. I don't mean the leads, I mean the other characters. Such as Lloyd whose arc seemed to end at the beginning of season 7 and finally came back in the final episode. We saw OK-but not very grabbing-slightly bland female interests in the forms of Alex (Dania Ramirez) and Sasha Grey (Sasha Grey). None even remotely touched the bar set by Sloane (Emmanuelle Chriqui)and even Jamie-Lynn Sigler ( Jamie-Lynn Sigler). However, I must admit I did expect to see a return of Justine Chapin (Leighton Meester). I really felt Vince would fight for her if she returned.

This is going on longer than expected. Basically, while Entourage wasn't 100% set in reality it felt grounded and organic in its story lines, character growths, and outrageous stunts. But, season 7 and 8 felt too ridiculous and had too many large leaps (from E's takeover of the company to Turtle's Tequila business' growth). And interestingly enough the one character who I would've been OK with having such an exaggerated step got what I felt was a much too grounded treatment (Drama's cartoon and TV movie). Also side note, disliked the buildup of E's partner Scott as one of the Entourage boys. They should have found a way to do that with Llyod.

A storyline I felt that needed its own section is Artie (Jeremy Piven) and Dana's (Constance Zimmer) affair. While I felt that storyline was just too much of a stretch, it IS grounded in that they set up the groundwork for this years back. I must admit though I like Dana and it was nice to see her back. Also, truth be told if I hated Ari's wife (which I don't, she's amazing) I would have rooted for this relationship. Oh FYI Ari's role in final episode episode...jury's still out.

The two things I must say though that I did enjoy. I enjoyed that Vince did not end up with Sasha Grey as my co-worker told me he did. While I still much would've seen Vince with Justine, I could see how he ended up with Sophia (Alice Eve) and by the rules of TMZ, could also understand how he could marry her after only one date.  But, what really had me happy was Sloane and E's reunion and the fact she was pregnant. When I first heard that news...pure joy.

This review/notes/ blab/ vent probably reads like bad cheese, but truth be told. The last two seasons of Entourage dropped the ball. Much like the final season of United States of Tara. But, at least that finale worked MUCH better for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment