Thursday, October 6, 2011

X's and Gus's

Many people have their own philosophies when it comes to watching a new series that isn't up to their standards of "good". Some stop watching after the first episode, others give it three seasons. I, however, agreed with how my friend worded it. "You only have to have faith for 3 episodes. That's how long you have to give a show before you are officially allowed to give up".

So I made a list of the new series I've started watching this season and rated them with X's and Gus's. Gus's mean that it's good, or I liked/ loved it, or basically it's good enough to keep me watching again. X's mean it fell flat on its face and the only reason I gave it another chance was because of the three episode rule.




Five quickie reasons why I feel this show deserves the ax (note: there are more to this list, I just wanted to jot down a few. Also, note that there are certain things I do like about the series...but that list doesn't outweigh this one)

  1. The writing is poor.
  2. The character focus per episode is unbalanced.
  3. Robert Wagner as Charlie is flat.
  4. The show's constant attempt to make Bosley one of the Angels instead of their assistance.
  5. Rather than make this a continuation, they turned it into a Reboot. So we aren't connected to the previous legacy created back in the 70s. Meaning, we have no connection to this team...that works in a Malibu condo (or beach house?) who take their orders from a corporate telephone. Nice way to take a somewhat unique concept and 'Gossip Girl' it up.




QUICK LIKE LIST


  1. The show is actually funny.
  2. The dialouge is pretty witty.
  3. While a lot of the humor of the show does derive from the stereotypes and cliches of this world, enough integrity is inserted to keep the show from being just that. (ex: The character of  Caroline. She isn't just a ditz heiress type. She's intelligent and brings both smarts and heart to the broke girl duo.
  4. Great cast.
  5. "Marry the ketchup. OK, now divorce them".


    QUICK LIKE LIST

    1. The return of Sarah Michelle Gellar.
    2. The production value has gone up since the second episode (which is essential to this type of show).
    3. While this show IS cheesy and filled with less than fresh clichés, there's always something stirring. There's questions, there's build up, and despite how it is executed at times it's not the typical pop drama that we see a lot of on TV. But, the cheese does help keep it at a lighter tone, despite it's darker nature.
    4. The supporting cast.
    5. Cinematography (especially in the pilot).
    I am currently watching more shows, however I haven't quite got to episode three of these shows yet. When I do, I'll post up my Xs and Gus's.



    No comments:

    Post a Comment